Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Brussels Sprouts Chicken Salad with Almonds

Ever get home from work, open the fridge and hope for some magical dish to be there? Wishful thinking! I usually just stand there and hope for some creativity to pop into mind, or I'll google the main ingredients that I do have. That's how I came up with this salad!

I haven't been much of a brussels sprouts lover unless its done just right (Like at Cleo in Hollywood, their brussels sprouts, are to die for!) Trust me this salad will become your go to for brussels sprouts, it's that good!


I wish I had taken more pictures, I took a video but for some reason it won't load. You can check it out on my instagram :)

Brussels Sprouts Chicken Salad with Almonds

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cooked chicken, cubed 
  • 4 cups sliced Brussels sprouts (for me it was about 20)
  • ½ cup almonds 
  • ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Prep the salad: Prepare the chicken. Prepare the Brussels sprouts by very thinly slicing them. In a food processor, pulse the almonds until chopped (or buy the packaged slivered almonds). Place in a small skillet over medium high heat with no oil or butter and toast until golden brown, stirring or shaking constantly.
  2. Make the dressing: In the small skillet, saute the butter and onion over medium high heat until the onions are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to a food processor. Add the lemon and olive oil. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Place the Brussels sprouts in the empty sauteed onion pan and place over high heat. Stir for 1-2 minutes until you can smell them and they turn bright green. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, toss the the Brussels sprouts, almonds, chicken, dried cranberries and Parmesan.
  4. Toss the dressing and salad together. Serve warm or cold. If you plan to keep leftovers, keep the dressing separate.



Enjoy!

Xo
Celeste 

No comments:

Post a Comment